This festive season, Celebrate the New year by ticking off that Backpacking Trip on your bucket list that you keep postponing.
Switch your party blazers with the blaze of a campfire in the heart of the great Himalayas and let us tell you all about the best Himachal Pradesh Backpacking Trip.
The terrain of this hilly state begins with the scenic view of the Shivalik range, expanding its snowy tapestry to McLeodGanj district and the outskirts of Dharamshala city.
Because of its mystifying valleys, ceaselessly flowing rivers and ivory mountains, it has become one of the most popular destinations among travelers.
On this Himachal Backpacking Trip, we begin our journey from the famous Majnu ka Tila bus stand in New Delhi for an overnight drive to Mcleodganj.
To make sure that you get the most authentic experience, we take you to see the sparkling Bhagsunag Waterfalls, following with a stroll through the Tibetan market and let you explore the array of cafes and restaurants Mcleodganj has to offer.
Our next stop, Bir, is famous among all adventure enthusiasts for being the best rendezvous point for having a paragliding session, providing a high altitude of 8000ft as its take off spot which is the Highest Paragliding Take Off point in Asia and only Second Highest in the World. Being that high will surely make you feel like you are on top of the world!
Then, we take our expedition through the picturesque Tirthan Valley as we head towards Jibhi for a relaxed evening all while enjoying the sight of pine forests, cedar trees and elevated slopes embellished by wooden houses covered in thick powdered snow. .
On our fifth day, we start the Trek to Jalori pass which ends on a soul fulfilling note as you witness the magic of Serolsar Lake and come into contact with the spiritual essence that the visit to Shringa Rishi Temple has to offer.
Before moving on to our next adventure, we take a breather and spend a day full of leisure in Kasol to relax and hop through the various cafes. However, if you are still riding the adrenaline high, we will take you hiking to Chalaal and stay overnight at Kasol.
We will also visit to the Manikaran Temple/Gurudwara which is a sacred pilgrimage center for both Hindus and Sikhs.
After spending a night at Kasol, we will head towards the greatest gift the Himalayas have to offer, the humble abode of the Valley of the gods that is Manali. Since this popular hill station has a lot of tourist attractions, like the renowned Mall road, Hadimba temple, Vashist Hot water springs etc at its disposal, we take you for local sight seeing so that you get the most out of this experience.
The next excursion would be extra special because by the time you reach this enthralling destination, you would be counting down the hours for the New Year!
And what better way is there to start the New year than riding the adrenaline high that only Solang Valley can offer, with its variety of adventure sports like Skiing, Zipline, ATV bike rides. And, if you want to try something different and unique, you can always opt for Zorbing!
All this kick and rush of endorphins will definitely leave you in need of a much needed relaxation time and once you have recharged your batteries, we will start our return journey.
If you have been waiting for the right time, wait no more, because this is the best time to visit Himachal and unravel all of its mysteries.
Day 1 : Delhi To McLeod Ganj | Overnight Journey
- The group assembles at the pickup point at 7 PM.
- We’ll meet the team captains and a small tour briefing would also be conducted.
- After which, we’ll head out on an overnight journey to McLeod Ganj which is a vibrant town nestled in Himachal Pradesh known for its rich Tibetan Culture.
Note: The pickup point for the journey would be Majnu Ka Tila Bus Stand/ ISBT Kashmere Gate/ RK Ashram Metro station.
Day 2 : Arrival in McLeod Ganj | Local Sightseeing
- Upon reaching McLeod Ganj, we’ll check into our hotel rooms and spend some leisure time.
- Afterwards we will head out for a local sightseeing tour where we would be visiting Bhagsunnag waterfall, and the local Tibetan Market, and will also go for cafe hopping.
- In the evening, we will celebrate Christmas with DJ, Food, Cake, a Bonfire, and more. Dinner followed by an overnight stay in McLeod Ganj.
Day 3 : Drive from McLeod Ganj to Bir (72 Kilometers, 3 Hours)
- After early morning breakfast, we will check out of our hotel and head towards Bir which is situated at an elevation of 5,003 ft and is popularly known as the Paragliding Capital of India. Bir Billing has the Second Highest Take off point for Paragliding in the World and hence attracts adventure enthusiasts from all over the country.
- En route we’d be traversing through Dharamshala which is the humble abode of the Dalai Lama. We will also visit the Dharamshala Stadium which is situated at an altitude of 4,780 ft and is the Highest fully functional International Cricket Ground in the World. Afterward, we’ll resume our journey to Bir.
- Upon our arrival in Bir, we’ll check into our hotel. The rest of the day is at leisure but travelers can explore the arrays of cafes that Bir has to offer.
- In the evening, we will return to our designated stays. Dinner followed by an overnight stay in Bir.
Day 4 : Paragliding in Billing | Drive From Bir to Jibhi (138 Kilometers, 6 Hours)
- After early morning breakfast, we’ll check out of our hotels in Bir and head towards Billing which is the take-off point for paragliding where Bir is the landing site. Collectively they provide the perfect opportunity for a paragliding session.
- After our Paragliding session in Bir Billing, we’ll head towards Jibhi which is a tiny hamlet nestled between lush green forests in the Tirthan Valley of Himachal Pradesh.
- Upon reaching Jibhi in the evening, we’ll check into our hotel. The rest of the day is at leisure but travelers are advised to go to Cafe Hopping and explore the Local Market.
- Dinner will be served followed by an overnight stay in Jibhi.
Day 5 : Trek To Jalori Pass and Sirolsar Lake (9 Kilometers, 5 Hours)
- After early morning breakfast, we will head out for a trek to Jalori Pass. The trek leads you to the 360º viewpoint which offers a stunning view of the entire valley along with the Pir Panjal ranges of the Himalayas from
- After traversing through Jalori Pass, we will also visit the pristine Sirolsar Lake which is a high-altitude lake nestled amidst alpine forests. Just beside the lake, there is a temple that holds extreme significance for the locals where you can pay your respects as well.
- Afterwards, we will descend and return to our hotel where we will spend some leisure time.
- In the evening, we will have dinner followed by an overnight stay in Jibhi.
Day 6 : River Rafting | Drive From Jibhi To Kasol (83 Kilometers, 3 Hours)
- Post early morning breakfast, we will check out of our hotel and visit the sparkling Jibhi waterfall.
- En route to Kasol, we’ll indulge in a River Rafting session.
- Afterward, we’ll head to Kasol which is a tiny hamlet in the Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh known for its pristine river streams and lush green forests.
- Upon arrival in Kasol, we will check in to our designated hotel. The rest of the day is at leisure but the travelers are advised to go Cafe hopping and explore the local market of Kasol which is always brimming with beautiful handicrafts and colorful clothes.
- Dinner will be served in the evening followed by an overnight stay at Kasol.
Day 7 : Kasol Sightseeing Day
- After early morning breakfast, we’ll head for a sightseeing tour where we’d be visiting the Manikaran Temple and Manikaran Gurudwara, both of which hold extreme religious importance. We will also visit the Hot Water Springs in Manikaran which are considered extremely sacred by the locals.
- Afterwards, we’ll hike towards Chalal which is a quaint village that offers beautiful views of the entire Parvati Valley.
- In the evening, we will have dinner followed by an overnight stay in Kasol.
Day 8 : Kasol to Manali (75 Kilometers, 2 Hours)
- After early morning breakfast, we will check out of our hotel and head towards our next destination which is Manali. The picturesque town is popular among backpackers for offering both adventure and solitude.
- Upon our arrival in Manali, we’ll check into our designated hotel rooms. The rest of the day is at leisure but the travelers are advised to visit the Manali Mall Road.
- In the evening, we will go back to our hotel where we’ll be indulging in New Year celebrations with Groovy DJ, Delicious Snacks, a bonfire, and Cake. Dinner followed by Overnight stay in Manali.
Day 9 : Manali Local Sightseeing
- After early morning breakfast, we will head out for a local sightseeing tour of Manali where we will be visiting Hadimba Temple which is an ancient cave temple believed to be 500 years old.
- Afterwards, We will also be visiting the Vashisht Temple and Vashisht Hot water springs which are believed to have healing properties.
- In the evening, we’ll head back to our hotel. The rest of the day is at leisure.
- Dinner followed by an overnight stay in Manali.
Day 10 : Manali to Solang Valley ( 13 Kilometers, 1 hour) | Solang Valley Sightseeing
- After early morning breakfast, we will head towards Solang Valley which is a paradise for adventure enthusiasts.
- Upon our arrival in Solang valley, travelers can indulge in activities like Zorbing, Skiing, ATV rides, Paragliding, Zipline, and more. (on personal expense). Once we’ve had our fair share of adrenaline, we will head back to Manali.
- In the evening we’ll board the return bus for Delhi and head out for an overnight journey.
Day 11 : Delhi Arrival | Tour Ends.
- We will reach Delhi early morning at 9 AM (tentative).
- The group will part ways with fond memories from the trip.
- Trip Ends.
What is the best time to visit Himachal?
One can visit Himachal throughout the year to experience all the different palettes that its landscapes have to offer.
For snow lovers, the best time to visit is from October to February which is the official snowfall season in Himachal. These months are popular because one can indulge in thrilling snow activities like skiing, snowboarding, and more.
One can also visit Himachal from February to June which are considered to be the best months to visit Himachal as the weather is pleasant.
What is special about the Himachal Explorer edition?
Himachal Explorer edition is an annually organized trip that is specially curated around the Christmas and New year celebrations so that people who wish to celebrate the festive season by traveling can do so without worrying about anything. It is a 10-day trip that is inclusive of Christmas and New year celebrations with DJ, bonfire, and good company.
When can I see snow in Manali?
Manali starts to receive snowfall at October end and gets completely covered in thick blankets of snow by November. The snow adorns the landscapes till mid-May. However, the availability of snow also depends on weather conditions which are quite unpredictable in the mountains.
What is Kasol famous for?
Nestled on the banks of Parvati River, Kasol is a Himalyan hamlet which offers stunning views of snow capped peaks, sparkling rivers, vibrant culture, Israeli cuisine and more. It is especially popular among backpackers and also acts as a basecamp for treks like Kheerganga, Malana, Grahan etc.
Where is Jibhi located?
Jibhi is one of the hidden gems of Himachal. Nestled in the Banjar Valley of Himachal Pradesh, it is located at a distance of approximately 100 kilometers from Manali and 70 kilometers from Mandi. The place is best known for its natural beauty and serves as a base to explore the rest of Banjar and Tirthan Valleys.