The Only Trekkable Mountain Pass in Winter
Kuari pass is a mountain lovers’ delight. You have an unending vista of the biggest mountains in India opening up right from day one. You even get to see the clearest view of the full face of Mt Nanda Devi, India’s highest mountain.
More than this, Kuari Pass is a near-perfect trek. You go through ancient forests filled with oaks and rhododendrons. Just as your eyes are getting used to the tree canopy above, the trail opens into meadows. This interplay of different kinds of landscapes makes the trek very exciting.
You camp at outstanding locations on this trek. Whether it is the forests of Chitrakantha or the Khullara meadow in the shadow of Mt Dronagiri, each campsite leaves you in awe of your surroundings.
If you are stepping into the Himalayas for the first time then Kuari Pass is the trek to do. It is almost crafted perfectly for the beginner.
To begin with, Kuari Pass is a 4-day trek (6 days when you include the travel days from Rishikesh). The trek starts from Dhak, a small village near Joshimath in the Garhwal Region of Uttarakhand. It is situated in the Nanda Devi National Park.
Kuari Pass is an easy-moderate trek, which makes it easy enough for someone starting in the Himalayas. But more than anything else there are three things about the trek that stay with you.
|Travel Mode||Tempo Traveler|
Day 1 : Rishikesh to Joshimath (254 Kms, 10 Hours Drive)
- The group will assemble at the pickup point at 06:00 AM.
- Upon reaching Joshimath, we will check into our designated homestays. The rest of the day is at leisure.
- Dinner will be served in the evening followed by an Overnight stay.
Note: The pick-up point would be Rishikesh ISBT (tentative).
Day 2 : Drive from Joshimath to Tugasi (14 Kilometers, 45 Mins Drive) | Trek to Guling (4 Kilometers, 5 Hours)
- After early morning breakfast, we’ll head out for Tugasi Village.
- Upon reaching Tugasi, we will start our trekking journey. The roads will be replaced by dirt trails taking you through the tiny Himalayan Hamlets that adorn this trail. The clearing then gives way to green canopies as you move closer to Guling which is our campsite.
- Upon reaching Guling, we will have lunch. The rest of the day is at leisure.
- In the evening, we will have some ground bonding activities followed by dinner and overnight stay in camps.
Day 3 : Trek from Guling to Khullara (6 Kilometers, 7 Hours)
- After early morning breakfast, you will be given necessary instructions regarding the trekking trails.
- We will start trekking from Guling to Khullara.
- En-route, we will have our packed lunch. Later in the evening, we will check into our campsite at Khullara base.
- The rest of the day is at leisure. As the dawn starts to fall, you will get to witness the magical starry skies above.
- Dinner followed by overnight stay at Khullara base camp.
Day 4 : Trek to Kuari Pass | Back to Khullara (6 Kilometers, 7 Hours)
- Post breakfast, a small briefing session with necessary details about the rest of the trek will be provided.
- Afterwards, we will begin our trek to Kuari Pass. Witness the sun rising from the great Himalayan ranges where you will catch a glimpse of Chaukhamba Massif, Nilkantha peaks, Nanda Devi peaks, and many more.
- After spending some time at the summit, marveling at the beauty of the majestic mountains, we will descend towards the Khullara basecamp.
- Dinner followed by an overnight stay in tents at Khullara.
Day 5 : Trek from Khullara to Tugasi (12 Kilometers, 6 Hours) | (Drive to Joshimath (14 Kilometers, 45 Mins Drive)
- After early morning breakfast, a small briefing session with necessary details about the rest of the trek will be provided.
- We will begin trekking from Khullara to Tugasi Village.
- En-route, we will have our packed lunch.
- Upon reaching Tugasi, we will start the drive to Joshimath.
- Check in to our designated homestay at Joshimath where we will have dinner and spend the night.
Day 6 : Drive from Joshimath to Rishikesh (254 Kms, 10 Hours Drive) | End of tour
- Post breakfast, we will check out of our accommodations.
- We will drive from Joshimath to Rishikesh. You can enjoy the scenic views of some of the Prayag’s like Dev Prayag, Rudra Prayag, Karn Prayag.
- Upon reaching Rishikesh, the group will dissemble and part their ways with fond memories.
- End of Tour.
Is camping allowed on the Kuari Pass Trek?
You can camp amidst the lush green meadows, consisting of vast green pastures with Himalaya Views.+
How many routes are there to reach Kuari Pass Trek?
There are a total of four routes for the destination:
1. Ghat, Ramni, Sanatoli to Kuari Pass, 6 days
2. Joshimath, Auli and Gorson to Kuari Pass, 5 days
3. Joshimath, Mirag, Tugasi and Khulara to Kuari Pass, 5 days
4. Tapovan, Khulara to Kuari Pass, 5 days
What is the starting point for the Kuari Pass Trek?
Joshimath is the starting point for the Kuari Pass Trek.
Is taking anti-altitude sickness medicines like Diamox advisable?
Diamox will not be needed since the highest altitude you will reach on the excursion is approximately 13500 feet. However, if you have had trouble adjusting to such elevations in the past, you should consult a doctor first.
What is the minimum age limit during the Kuari Pass trek?
14 years is the minimum limit, however they are supposed to be accompanied by their parents