One of the Finest Summit Climbs for Beginners
Kedarkantha (not to be confused with the popular Temple Kedarnath) is a 6-day long trek in Govind Pashu Vihar National Park in Uttarakhand (6 when including the travel days from Dehradun to the base camp and back). Kedarkantha is easily one of the most popular treks in India — popular amongst seasoned trekkers and beginners alike.
There are many reasons why it is a very popular trek to do in the Indian Himalayas. The most important of them is this — the summit climb.
The summit climb of Kedarkantha is a very rewarding one. Right from the base camp of the trek, the summit looms large. As you start your trek in the early hours of the morning and steadily climb up the steep slope, the world opens up around you.
The climb is not easy. The entire stretch is steadily steep. As you get closer to the summit, it gets tricky as well. But the big mountains of the upper Himalayas keep you company until you finally reach the summit.
As you stretch yourself and take in the views of the Himalayas from the summit, you feel a strong sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. This is an unparalleled feeling.
Very few treks offer the same adventure, making it popular among beginners for its finest summit climb.
Outside the summit, the trek is also unique for its beautiful clearings. Very rarely you will find stunning clearings on a trek that makes way for some rest spots and beautiful campsites. This trek is filled with clearings on all the different routes. What’s more, the clearings are just at the right locations, giving you beautiful vantage points to appreciate the trek and its views.
The third biggest reason this trek is unique is its beautiful forests. All three routes have beautiful diverse forests that will immerse you. If you are not careful, you will get lost in them (in a good way).
|Travel Mode||Tempo Traveler|
Day 1 : Drive From Dehradun To Sankri Base Village (198 Kilometers, 8 Hours Drive )
- The group will assemble at the pickup point at 06:00 AM.
- We’ll drive towards Sankri village which is the base camp for the Kedarkantha Trek.
- Upon reaching Sankri, we’ll check in to our designated homestay. The rest of the day is at leisure and travelers are advised to rest.
- In the evening, Dinner will be served followed by an overnight stay in Sankri Village.
Note: The pickup point will be Dehradun Railway Station. (tentative)
Day 2 : Trek from Sankri to Juda Ka Taal (4 Kilometers, 4 Hours Trek)
- After early morning breakfast, a small briefing session would be conducted by the trek leader where all the necessary details about the rest of the day will be shared.
- We will start our trekking journey. En route to our campsite, we’d be traversing through lush green forests consisting of pine trees with the Swargrohini Massif in the backdrop beckoning you closer.
- We will reach Juda Ka Taal after five hours of trekking. Upon reaching our campsite, we will have lunch.
- The rest of the day is at leisure. Dinner will be served in the evening followed by an overnight stay at Juda Ka Taal Campsite.
Day 3 : Juda Ka Taal To Kedarkantha Base Camp (3 Kilometers, 3 Hours Trek)
- The day will start with morning tea followed by breakfast.
- The Trek Leader will give you a briefing about the day before we proceed.
- Afterward, we’ll start the trek towards the Kedarkantha Base Camp, which takes about 3-4 hours.
- Upon reaching and checking into the campsite, we’ll have a warm lunch.
- The rest of the day is at leisure and we’ll relax by indulging in activities like snowball fights and other fun games.
- Lastly, we’ll have dinner at the campsite followed by an overnight stay at Kedarkantha Base Camp.
Day 4 : Trek To Kedarkantha Peak | Back To Juda ka Taal (9 Kilometers, 8 Hours Trek)
- We will finally begin our trek towards Kedarkantha Peak.
- We’ll get up at 02:00 AM as we’ll be needing an early start.
- Afterwards, the group will trek up to the Kedarkantha Summit.
- After reaching the summit, we’ll enjoy the view from the top and witness the beautiful sunrise from the summit.
- Shortly afterward, we’ll head back to the Kedarkantha Base Camp once again.
- Upon reaching, Lunch will be served at the campsite.
- It’s the last night at the campsite so we will have a farewell bash.
- Overnight stay at Juda ka Taal campsite.
- *Additionally, you get a 360-degree view of the whole Himalayan Region from the Kedarkantha Top. Some of the peaks are Gangotri, Swargarohini, Banderpooch, Kinner Kailash, etc.
Day 5 : Juda ka Taal To Sankri (4 Kilometers, 4 Hours Trek) | Back To Dehradun (8 Hours Drive)
- After early morning breakfast, we’ll head down towards the Sankri Village from Juda ka Taal.
- Upon reaching Sankri, we’ll stop and freshen up at our designated hotel, and lunch will be provided.
- Shortly afterward, we’ll proceed towards Dehradun. (Reach Dehradun by late evening.)
- The group will disassemble here and be on their separate ways with a heart full of contentment and a mind full of memories.
Should we bring some medicines with us?
Yes, it is always advisable to carry your own medical kit with medications for headaches, nausea, etc.
What type of food is served during the trek?
It’s extremely important to make sure that you eat nutritious food so you can maintain your energy during the trek. We serve eggs to make sure you get proper protein intake and serve different kinds of Indian cuisine.
Can we change the itinerary?
Yes, we can make changes to some extent but only if we find your suggestions and demands feasible.
Can you customize the Kedarkantha trek?
Yes, it’s customizable but it depends if what you are asking for is something we can afford to deliver.
Is Diamox advisable or not?
Not, it’s not but if you are taking it, then make sure that it’s prescribed by your doctor.