This bike expedition is the holy grail for the bikers in India, the route being so raw and rugged even visitors from around the world come and have a go at it. It takes a certain level of madness and a thing for adventure to rev a bike and go through this route through the “land of dawn-lit mountains”.
We start our 7 nights 8 days Bike expedition to Tawang from Guwahati. Guwahati is known as ‘the city of Eastern Light’ and it stands on the southern banks of the mighty river Brahmaputra. It is the capital of Assam and gateway to the entire northeastern states. It is surrounded by hills and the Brahmaputra river, rich and diverse flora, and fauna enhances its natural scenic beauty.
Dirang is a village in Arunachal Pradesh which lies in the West Kameng district. It is situated on the banks of the Jia Bharali river at an altitude of 4900 ft. While in Dirang, you can take a walk through the peaceful village and take in the beautiful and serene environment.
Singstar Tso or the PTSO Lake is one of the highest altitude lakes in India and the world at a height of 15,200fts. It is located on the way from Tawang to Bumla Pass. The Bum La Pass is located about 37 km away from Tawang, at the Indo-China border above 16,500 ft above sea level. The roads are mostly covered with snow. The road to Bum La is also a historical route; here in Bum La Pass one of the fiercest battles took place in the 1962 Sino-Indian War.
Up next is Tawang, which lies at an elevation of 10,000fts. Tawang has an unmatched natural beauty that will leave you awestruck and of the iconic places to visit in Tawang is Tawang Monastery, which is the largest monastery in India.
Thembang Heritage Village is one of the unique villages which has been identified by UNESCO as a world heritage site village. Here you are going to have an experience of proper traditional Monpa Houses built of stones.
In the evening, enjoy cultural dance and rituals by a local group. Traditional wine and a bonfire will also be there to add some spark to the evening.
The ideal time to visit Arunachal Pradesh would be during summers i.e. April to June when the valley comes alive with wildflowers and greenery and the weather is pleasant. If you want to experience Arunachal Pradesh during winters, October to February is the best time to experience snow-covered landscapes and mountains.
|Travel Mode||Enfield 350 cc, Himalayan, Own Bike, SUV or Tempo Traveller|
|Rider||Dual Rider, Solo Rider|
Day 1 : Guwahati Arrival | Drive to Kaziranga National Park (191 Kilometers, 4 hours)
- The group will assemble at the pick-up point in Guwahati where a brief introduction by the trip captain will be provided.
- Afterward, we’ll head towards Kaziranga National Park which is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is an abode to the Great One Horned Rhinoceros, Asian Elephant, Bengal White Tiger, and more. The South Asian Dolphin is also found in the waters of the park.
- Upon our arrival, We’ll check into our hotels in Kaziranga where we’ll have dinner followed by an overnight stay.
- Note: The riders will be allotted their respective bikes and a brief test run would be organized in order to get the feel of the two-wheeler.
Day 2 : Kaziranga National Park to Bomdila (240 Kilometers, 6 Hours)
- After early morning breakfast, we’ll check out of our hotel and embark on a Jungle Safari Tour amid nature and witness the wildlife from up close.
- Afterward, we’ll head towards Bomdila which is a true tropical paradise known for its picturesque landscape and rich Buddhist influence.
- Upon our arrival in Bomdila, we’ll check into our hotel. The rest of the day is at leisure.
- Dinner followed by overnight stay in Bomdila.
Day 3 : Drive from Bomdila to Tawang (176 Kilometers, 5 Hours)
- After breakfast, we’ll check out of our hotel and head towards Tawang which is popular for being the abode of the largest Monastery in India. En route, we’d traverse the iconic Sela Pass which is a high-altitude mountain pass that connects Tawang to the rest of the country. We’ll also visit Jaswant Garh which is a war memorial dedicated to the soldier Jaswant Singh Rawat who bravely fought against the Chinese Army.
- Upon reaching Tawang, we’ll check in to our hotel. The rest of the day is at leisure but travelers can indulge in Cafe Hopping and explore the premise as well.
- Dinner followed by an overnight stay in Tawang.
Day 4 : Visit Bum La Pass | Drive Back to Tawang
- After early morning breakfast, we’ll head out to visit the Bum La Pass which offers a striking view of the Indo-China Border. At an altitude of 15,200 ft, it is one of the most off-beat passes in the world which remains snowbound for almost the entire year.
- Afterward, we’ll visit the pristine P.T. Tso Lake which is nestled in the lap of the Eastern Himalayas. We’ll also visit the Madhuri Lake named after the popular Bollywood actress.
- Afterward, we’ll head back to Tawang and spend the rest of the day at leisure. Dinner followed by an overnight stay in Hotel.
Day 5 : Tawang Local Excursion
- After early morning breakfast, we’ll head out for a local sightseeing tour where we’d visit the Tawang Monastery known as Gaden Namgyal Lhatse in Tibetan which is the largest monastery in India.
- We’ll also visit the Urgelling Monastery which is one of the oldest Gompas in Tawang and is also the birthplace of the 6th Dalai Lama.
- Afterward, we’ll go ahead to witness the Giant Buddha statue which is 30ft tall and overlooks the upper regions of Tawang from an elevation of 10,000ft. Afterward, we’ll visit the Chakzam bridge which is almost 600 year old and is suspended over the Tawang River.
- Afterward we’ll visit the Tawang War Memorial which is a shrine dedicated to the Indian martyrs who sacrificed their lives in the Indo-China War. We’ll also watch the Light and Sound show that is organized in the memorial every evening and then head back to our hotel.
- Dinner followed by an overnight stay in the hotel.
Day 6 : Drive from Tawang to Dirang (134 Kilometers, 4 Hours)
- After early morning breakfast, we’ll head towards Dirang which is a small hill station adorned by lush green forests and snow-capped mountains.
- En route, we’d visit the Jung Falls which rose to prominence after being featured in the movie Koyla. We’d also visit Apple Orchards and Kiwi Gardens.
- In the evening, we’ll check into our designated stay in Dirang where we’ll have dinner followed by an overnight stay.
Day 7 : Drive from Dirang to Guwahati (300 Kilometers, 8 Hours)
- After early morning breakfast, we’ll check out and head towards Guwahati.
- En route, we’d visit Thembang Village which is a 12th century fortified village renowned for its Monpa houses.
- In the evening, we’ll check in to our hotels in Guwahati where we’ll have dinner followed by an overnight stay.
Day 8 : Departure from Guwahati
- After early morning breakfast, we’ll depart from Guwahati with fond memories of the trip.
- Trip Ends.
Where is Tawang Located?
Tawang is in the Northeastern state of Arunachal Pradesh, located in proximity to the India- Chinese Border. It lies at an elevation of 10,000 ft. and is located 448 km northwest of the state capital Itanagar.
Is it safe to visit Tawang?
Yes, Tawang is safe for travel except for very frequent off season snowfall or rains. Besides, whether it’s a solo backpacking trip or a family vacation, it is a safe place to visit and one of the most beautiful and calm destinations for a perfect break.
What is the best time to visit Tawang?
The best time to visit Tawang is the months of April to June when the valley comes alive with wildflowers and greenery. The weather is also pleasant. October to February is the best time to experience snow-covered landscapes and mountains in Tawang.
Do we need a permit to travel to Tawang?
Yes, tourists need an Inner Line Permit (ILP) to enter Tawang.
Tourists can apply for the permit online on the Arunachal Pradesh Tourism website which costs around Rs. 150 to Rs. 200 and takes around 5 to 8 working days. The alternate option is to directly get it through Guwahati Airport from the Arunachal Pradesh tourism office. The costs can be verified on the office itself.
Is there proper network coverage in Tawang?
Yes, there is a proper network in Tawang. BSNL, Airtel, Jio, and Vodafone postpaid connections work while BSNL and Airtel are the strongest.
There are no reviews yet.
Leave a Review